Making Tax Payments to the IRS

Should you have a balance due when filing your income tax return, remember to make sure your payment is made payable to the “United States Treasury.” Complete and include Form 1040-V, Payment Voucher, when sending a payment and tax return to the IRS. This will help the IRS process your payment more accurately and efficiently.

Whether you are filing your current year’s return or a prior year’s return, or an amended return, always provide your correct name, address, the Social Security number that is listed first on the tax form, daytime telephone number, tax year and form number on the front of your check or money order. Enclose your payment with your return, but do not staple it to the form. Do not mail cash with your tax return.

If you are e-filing you have the option of paying by electronic debit of your bank account using Electronic Funds Withdrawal. You will need to provide your account number and your financial institution’s routing number. Verify with your financial institution to make sure that electronic payment is available to make payments. You should also verify thereafter that the payment was made as you are ultimately responsible for the payment of your taxes and penalties are applicable if the payment is not made.

If you are paying by credit card, call or visit the Web site of either service provider listed below and follow the instructions:

  • Link2Gov Corporation: 888-PAY-1040 (888-729-1040),
    Official Payments Corporation: 800-2PAY-TAX (800-272-9829),

The service providers charge a convenience fee which may vary between the providers. You can also find out what the fee will be by calling the provider’s automated customer service number or visiting the provider’s website. You will be given a confirmation number for your payment at the end of the call.

For more information, call 800-829-4477 to check out TeleTax Topic 158, “Ensuring Proper Credit of Payments.” This information is also contained in Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax, available at, as is Form 1040-V.